Monday, January 23, 2012

Casa K


While in Maputo, I will be staying in a home for missionaries… I’ll call it Casa K. Other Dream Project missionaries stay at Casa K while they are in town and was told that the best part about it is that get home cooked meals every day! Casa K is run by 2 widowed sisters from Maine. They have both lived in Moz since around 1965!

My favorite part about staying here has been the other missionaries that come and go. Some come for one night while others are in for a few days. Upon my arrival I was surprised to find Michael (another Dream Project missionary), I thought he left a few weeks back but it has been nice to catch up with him.

My second night a Brizilian family came though with two children, a three year old boy and a six year old girl. The sisters who run Casa K usually start dinner off with a song and a prayer. When asked what song we should sing the little boy put down his head and started praying (in Portuguese). It was so cute, I didn’t know exactly what he was saying but I knew what he was praying was sincere.

I also met a missionary from Nampula (which is about 3 hours from Pemba, a larger town from what I understand). He has the most amazing story! He grew up in poverty in Nampula, taught himself English, worked in the states as a missionary and began college. While he was stateside he realized that with the money people were giving him for seminary he could put all 7 of his other siblings through college in Mozambique. So he approached the supporters and that is what he did. He and his wife now run an orphanage of 42 (60 is there max) children and one of his brothers is one of their largest supporters as he has gone on to become very successful. I was so touched by his story.

Since my arrival in Maputo it’s been raining. Raining is the wrong word… it has been torrentially down pouring! For at least my first 2 days, there was so much rain it was coming sideways in my window! The good thing about rain is it’s cooler =)

I left Casa K for the first time on Tuesday morning. I needed to give Nunu some paper work. The rain was so bad he had to take a taxi to meet me and the driver dropped us a few blocks away at a bank (as I also need to get local currency). Maputo is the capital of Moz, so the roads are paved, there are curbs and sidewalks. With the water you could see where the road stopped and the side walk started. I just kept watching people walk with water up over there ankles and then they would take a step and their cavles would disappear under water.

I so badly wanted to take pictures, but it is illegal to take pictures in Maputo! You can take pictures of people…so I made Nunu pose for me. It’s hard to see but beyond the green benches is the sidewalk, it is completely covered in water about 5 feet from that the street starts. I admit this isn’t the best picture, but it might be the only one I ever take in Maputo. The building and cars in the background are typical, so I hope it give you a feel of Maputo.
Rainy season in Maputo!
Prayer Requests:
- On Saturday I will be getting on a bus to Pemba. I just learned that a major bridge along the way in the town of Xai-Xai (Shy-shy) is out (because of all the rain).  I'm not sure how it will impact my trip. I will be going to buy my bus ticket on Wednesday. Flying isn't really an option as I have so much luggage this one way ticket would cost me ALOT of money.
- Health... every time I get a mosquito bite I wonder about Malaria... my ankles are covered.
- Praise God my body is responding well to Mozambique, no travel sickness (continued prayer in this area as I am probably susceptible to this for the next few weeks)

No comments:

Post a Comment