Friday, February 10, 2012

Change of Plans!!!!


Yesterday, Nunu and I went and purchased our bus tickets to Pemba! I don’t know much about the trip, only that it take 2 – 3 days. Is much cheaper than flying (especially when you add in the cost of all of my luggage!). As all thing Mozambique, this was a new experience. I knew we needed to go to the bus station, and so I imagined that we would be going to a shop at the bus station.

As we approach this vast dirt parking lot of buses, Nunu points to a maroon bus and says, “this is the one we will take to Pemba.” Well in a matter of minutes we are walking aboard the bus to purchase our tickets. There is a man sitting in the drivers seat and another man in the back of the bus, he comes forward and asks to help us.

He shows us a chart of seats that already have a few hand written names. Nunu talks with the man to find out the price and purchase our ticket. I go off looking to check out the bus. The first thing I notice is that it seats 5 across and has windows that slide open (no A/C on the bus). I go on a hunt for seats that would give me the ability to open my own window. As I make my way further back, I notice that the seats in the last row look much more comfortable than all the others. I quickly check and see that I would be able to open my window.

I plead my case to Nunu and he is fine with the back row. We were hoping to take a bus on Saturday afternoon, since it takes Nunu 1.5 hours to get to where I’m staying at the Casa. We find out the only thing they have leaves at 5am! I guess it’s common for people to arrive at the bus the night before, since public transport doesn’t run at 3am. So we decided that we will head to the bus around 9pm. Which means we have a lot more to do tomorrow than we had expected!

Things get a little sketchy and the man tells us that he doesn’t have receipts for us, we will need to come back and get them tomorrow. I’m concerned but he assures us (well Nunu in Portuguese who then tells me) that our names are on the hand written roster and he will have our receipts waiting tomorrow. I’m not sure what to do, so in the end we get the mans name and cell phone number. We test the number and his phone rings… I guess all we can do is trust.

Fast forward to Friday… I can’t tell you how excited I am to leave Maputo and see the boys in Pemba! Everyday for the last week (maybe longer) all I’ve done is think about the day I get to go see my boys! Nunu calls me to say that he picked up our bus tickets... we are ready to GO!

If you recall I have about 210 pounds of stuff. Nunu has 1 backpack. The bus only allows 22 pounds per person to be stored below the bus and each of us can take a backpack on the bus. I will have to pay for the extra 170 pounds, but I estimate it to cost me less than $75. In an effort to save money, Nunu and I decide that it will be best to put some of my electronics into his bags and his clothes into my bags.

All week I’ve been trying to get a hold of Julia, but she just had a baby in Brazil. So it isn’t until about 7:00pm on Friday that I have all of my bags spread out and I’m trying to pack and resituate all the luggage that she calls. First she talks to Nunu. While she and Nunu talk I put the finishing touches on packing, but then I start to pay attention to what he is saying. I don’t speak much Portugese, I’m able to pick up on some things. I give Nunu a thumbs up and he shakes his head from side to side. Uh-oh.

I talk to Julie next. I find out that there has been a huge miscommunication! And we can’t leave Maputo. Well I guess technically I probably could have gone, but there is no way I’m taking a bus for 2 – 3 days with 210 pounds of luggage in a country where I don’t speak the language. Julie basically tells me if I can help Nunu then I should stay.

To be honest I’m just in shock. In one hour a taxi is supposed to pick us up to take us to the bus. I just want to see my boys and I estimate flying with all of my luggage to cost around $700! I also didn’t budget to spend more time in Maputo. My heart is breaking but all I can do right now is think of the practical issues... I’m going to need to spend to either stay or to go.

I cry. All I want is to go to my room, curl in a ball, next to my fan and fall asleep. But I can’t. All of Nunu’s clothing is spread out throughout all of my bags. So one by one I unlock them and start pulling his clothes out. I can tell Michael and Nunu both feel bad for me and they probably aren’t really sure what to do. I assure them that I’m okay, I’ll be fine tomorrow… this is just how I process things. 

Prayer Requests: I'm so behind on my blogs that it's been hard to make many requests, because they wouldn't make much sense. 
- I'm still in Maputo. Depending on how things go tomorrow and Sunday, Nunu and I will leave on the bus on Monday. I'm hoping and praying that we go no later than Wednesday.
- Tomorrow we are meeting with Pastor Felipe from Ponta de Ouro. I'll explain things better in more detail but just be praying for our time together tomorrow (Saturday). Also, be praying that his church would come along side of us in Ponta in many ways, but our biggest need now is volunteers to build to keep cost down. 
- Finances. I'm pretty sure that I am fine with money. I've even had a friend email not knowing any of this saying... let me know if your in a pinch, I could send you some money. But so my prayer would be that in addition to provision... that I would find good deals and my budgeted money would stretch far.

No comments:

Post a Comment