Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Dire, Despacho & Land Permit...


Yesterday, well rather last night… I didn’t feel so good again. New symptoms. I looked up the side effects of Cipro and I think it was making me better and worse at the same time. So I stopped taking it after 2 days, hoping that was long enough to kill whatever bug I had. Which I think it did because today I feel so much better. I still get random cramping, but unlike contractions, the cramps just keep getting further and further apart.

Well so all week, Nunu and I have been working on these three things. Prepare for your mind to be blown at how complicated some of these things are. Also, remember I’m not talking about America, things are done so differently here. I have a rule of thumb that if it makes sense to me (meaning the process is easy and comparable to what I would thinkg), something must be wrong. Keep in mind that public offices are only open to 3:00 pm and some only keep their doors open to 1:00pm. None of these offices are close to each other and so Nunu is taking schapas (mini-van buses) all around town trying to get these things accomplished.

1. The Dire. Julia told us that we need to register at the Foreign Business office. We’ve been told by a larger orphanage in Pemba that even though Projecto Sonho is a national ONG (like NGO in States), because we want foreigner to come over we to get their permission. Or at least this is how the other orphanage has gone about things. So Monday morning this is where Nunu starts. They are confused and are unsure why he is at the Foreign Business Office if the organization is national. They are so confused that Nunu is left wondering if he is asking on behalf of Projecto Sonho (Mozambique) or The Dream Project (USA).

Tuesday he goes back to explain again that it’s for Projecto Sonho (PS) and so they tell him he needs to go the Ministry of Justice (MOJ). At the MOJ they tell him to write a letter explaining what PS needs and bring it back with all of PS’s official paperwork.

Nunu has some of the documents with him, but the rest are up in Pemba. We are already waiting on another scanned item, so we call to add these items to the list. Sound easy, right? Not so much.

Most of our workers in Pemba don’t have much computer knowledge.  Antonio can type documents and print them, but I’m not sure how much he knows about he internet (another thing I hope to help our workers in Pemba with). Also, he has to go into town to use the net and pay for it and for each item you need scanned.

Yesterday Julia also told us to try to get in touch with the guy from the other orphanage to find why we need to be registered with the Foreign Business office. It takes a day to track down his number and when Nunu gets ahold of him, he is in a meeting.

For 2 days, Nunu receives text messages from Antonio saying the documents were emailed, but we get nothing. Yesterday he texted his email to make sure Antonio was using the right one. Today we get a call from Sumate saying that Antonio was in a motorcycle accident on his way to the internet and he is at the hospital. We’re not really sure if it was serious or not, Sumate will let us know as he finds out.

An hour later Antonio calls. He is okay! He is banged up but okay. Bless his heart as soon as he gets out of the hospital he goes to use the internet and sends us the documents. What a guy!


2. The Despacho. Monday Nunu went to the Ministry of Justice (MOJ) and found out that in order to receive a new Despacho, PS needs to have a meeting with it’s Members, write a letter stating that they need a new Despacho and they all need all the members to sign the letter.

When PS became and ONG a lawer named Bruno headed the efforts up. He is now a judge. Julia asks us to call Bruno on Tuesday as she talked with him a while back about needing a new Despacho and he didn’t mention anything about a meeting. A meeting might be hard, as the officers would need to meet and Julia is currently in Brazil.

When Nunu calls Bruno, he is told to go back to the MOJ to ask for the Segunda Via (second copy, duplicate). He does this on Wednesday morning, but is told once again that the Members need to sign a document.

Today Nunu calls Bruno again and Bruno tells him that the Members will need to meet and get the document signed. I talk to Julia via skype this evening and she tells me that she will have to do this when she comes to Maputo this summer.

One down two to go!

3. The Land Permit. A bit of background… We were given through January to build on the land. In November and December PS was planning to build on the land, but then someone had the idea to file for an extension (seeing as money is tight for the organization). First I heard about the extension it was to be filed and completed in Maputo. Then a few week before I came to Moz, I heard that someone had found a way to file for the extension from up in Pemba. Great!

When I arrived in Maputo, Nunu told me that he had been trying to follow up on the extension for the last few weeks, but he needed a document from Pemba. The document was supposed to be email 2 weeks before my arrival and he kept texting & calling asking that his message be relayed to the person who was supposed to send the email. The guy who was supposed to send the document lost his cell phone and so communication has been difficult. Nunu was under the impression that because the document hadn’t been sent that things were squared away and we had gotten the extension. Of course there are two sides to every story and the other man thought Nunu was able to get his work done with out the document. Big miscommunication… whatever, moving on!

The man in Pemba who had said he could file the extension is no where to be found (his office says he went out of town or to another office… it’s confusing). So we are back at square one, with no extension and our paper work is out of date.

The task at hand now is to find out if we can still build and file for an extension and what we need to build. We talked to Pastor Felipe and he tells Nunu that it shouldn’t be a problem to get the extension for the land because it is in the bush (meaning so far out, I can testify to that!). Felipe says we should build something first before asking for the extension.

One interesting thing about Mozambique is you can never buy land, the government always owns the land. You can own trees, fences and building, but not the land they sit on. So what Felipe is suggesting isn’t out of the ordinary.

Julia is okay with this plan, but would also like to know what the Department of Agriculture says, so Nunu heads there on Wednesday. He finds out that official response is that we need to write a letter explaining why we haven’t built in the allotted time and ask for an extension. Then the letter needs to be turn that in with the land permit that we have.

Today Nunu calls Bruno to get his take on the land situation and he says it is probably best to write the letter and submit.

So in 4 days we have made some progress. We are down to 2 tasks, but only because we are unable to complete it. I feel like Nunu has been running around like a mad man but even though I’ve been sick, I still feel like I’ve contributed. Being that a miscommunication is what got us here, at least for some items, I’ve tried to keep Julia in the loop so we don’t do anything unnecessary and so she is able to keep giving us input and ideas of what to do next.

I haven’t had much spare time, but I was able to get the remote access working for my old architecture firm. So I have logged some hours, at least enough to cover the cost of a few of my nights here. I hope to do more as I feel better. It’s not the most convenient working environment because I have to sit right by the wireless router to get a signal and that is in the dining room. The main house is also usually much hotter than my room. While I don’t like being hot, I also don’t want to fry out my computer. Also they shut the net off around 10:30 each night, I’m sure they would keep it on it I ask, but I’m sure they have their reasons… so it is what it is.

Prayer Request:
- That we would see progress for all of this work!
- That Projecto Sonho would be able to support missionaries for 1 year visas!
- Continued health!





No comments:

Post a Comment