Friday, February 3, 2012

It's a Blue Gatorade Beach!


I didn't spend much time at the beach during my stay in Ponta, but it feels wrong to come to such a beautiful beach town and not speak of the ocean. Also just a quick few random things about Ponta.

Ponta de Ouro means "Tip of Gold" in Portuguese. It is known for all things ocean... diving, dolphins, fishing and surfing. It's only a 20 minute drive to the South African border, but 4-wheel drive is a must. Most of the visitors to Ponta are from South Africa and for that reason many of the restaurants except the SA Rand. In one place I paid in Metical to use the internet and they said they could only give me change in Rand... okay. 

Indian Ocean

The backpackers place I’m staying is like 100 feet from the ocean. I can hear the waves as I walked up to check-in. I love listening to waves as they crash, so I’m instantly happy. 

Yum!
My favorite gatorade is Glacier Freeze, it's a beautiful light shade of blue. The first time I went to Cozumel, Mexico I started telling people the water looked like blue Gatorade. Blue Gatorade has become a standard of how I describe a beautiful beach (well mainly the water). I love nothing more than looking out and seeing the light shades of blue as the sun shines deep into the water. The picture below doesn't do the beauty justice, but hopefully it helps (that is why I made the pic so big, be sure to scroll right to see the blues in the center of the photo).

Beautiful Blue Gatorade Water!
















I go to stick my feet in the water expecting bath water (as in Pemba), but I’m shocked that it’s cool and refreshing! The waves are huge! One minute I’m standing ankle deep the next moment I’m knee deep. The other thing that surprises me is just how strong the pull of the waves is back out to the ocean.

Aaaahhh, so fun!

I love playing in the waves at the Cottage in Sawyer, MI, but these waves are crazy and I don’t have an inner tube. I’m a strong swimmer, but I’m not a stupid swimmer… I don't go out past my waste but have fun playing in the waves.

You literally get thrown around like a rag doll. One wave pushes you down and kicks you out to shore, as you try to stand another wave comes crashing on top of you. I have so much sand in my swimsuit I could give a three year old a run for her money after she's spent 8 hours playing in the sand! I die from laughter as I try to rinse my suit out in a wave but end up with more sand in my pants than I started out with.

I quickly find that playing in Ponta is just as exhausting as working. I make a note to myself that sturdy inner tubes and four-wheelers could solve my “problems!” Ahahahaa maybe next time!



No comments:

Post a Comment