Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Settling In


Since Julie and Michael aren’t here now, I get to stay in the main missionary house. It’s nice for a few reasons, but the main being that it has AC! Well actually more important than AC it has doors that go all the way to the floor. Having AC means I can keep the windows closed and no mice can come in through my screens and having good doors means no mice can sneak in under them! Oh and the bed has a bug tent, it’s nice to zipper in and out, rather than having to tuck in every time you get up. Mice were my biggest lose of sleep last year, so I’m hoping I will rest well in this room…YEAH!

This room is also attached to the missionary kitchen, which is nice because the room I’m in is small and filled with Julie, Adriano and Michael’s things… so the kitchen allows me some much needed legroom. With 3 suitcases full of stuff… I’m in need of floor space to see just what I’ve got.

I slept so well the last two night. The room is nice and quiet in the morning. I woke up Friday morning and rush out of my room to see the kids, but it’s quiet. There are no kids, or at least none that I didn’t see last night. I met Nigel, an Australian missionary, who is staying in the room I used last year. I’ve heard about him for a while, so it’s nice to put a face and personality to the name.

I’ve decided not to do Christmas tomorrow, it would be way to rushed. We will wait one week. So instead I get started cleaning the house. I noticed the freezer has a lot of ice built up, so I decide to clean it out. Nigel suggests that I hang the fridge out the door, so the water can just drain to the front porch. There are some neighborhood kids watching me and they inch closer as I scoop out ice. Some even bring me cups asking for it, so I start handing out chunks and shavings of ice… I figure it can’t be any worse than what they drink from a well.



The kids start coming home from school, they are much more shy than I imagined. Pedro went running past me like a blur into his room. I wasn’t even sure if it was him, so I started saying his name and eventually he came out of his room. Juma P was similar. When he came home from school, I could tell he was exhausted. I said hello to him and he just kept walking. Nigel was telling me earlier how much they have all been talking about me coming and how excited they are. I know they are happy to see me, but it’s like they don’t know how to react or like they need to keep calm. It’s interesting to watch and to try and peel away at the shy exterior.

By Friday night things are back to normal. Sure things have changed, but it’s like I’ve never left. It’s a little weird being in a different room. I think mainly because I used to sit in my doorway which was on the main porch and so I would spend lots of time with the kids that way. Even though the boys have moved next to the missionary house, they feel far because there is no porch to hang out on.

After I finished cleaning yesterday I started sorting through some of the gifts I brought. I started making a list of the things I needed for Christmas and odds and ends I needed to finish cleaning. Then Nunu, Pedro and I went into town. I think the kids like to be singled out and my list of things to buy is long, so we could use the extra hands. As soon as I ask Pedro, his head drops and a smile breaks out… Pedro more than any other child loves to be asked to come along.

It’s so good to be back. Even though the kids have changed some they are still the same. Overall the biggest change is the amount of English the kids speak. Those who spoke some last year can make full sentences and other kids who spoke none, now know a few words. I notice the biggest change in both Juma’s. The little one has grown a little but he has lost some of his baby fat, so he looks more like a little man. The big Juma has gotten a little taller… funny thing is that the dog Black has changed the most. It’s just so good to be back. It’s so good to look out and see these faces. I’ll do lots of staring for the next few days, just taking it all in.

No comments:

Post a Comment